• Age: 51.
• Address: 621 Kentucky Ave., Norton.
• Education: 1982 graduate of John I. Burton High; 1987 graduate of then-Clinch Valley College, now UVa-Wise, BS in business and public administration with a minor in political science.
• Employment: Currently employed as a unit manager at Wallens Ridge State Prison; employed by the Virginia Department of Corrections, 14 years. Prior to that I was in retail management for various companies in the private sector.
• Civic involvement: I have been involved in youth sports many years, and I cannot think of a better civic responsibility. Investing in our youth is the cornerstone of success for our community.
• What goals and priorities will you pursue as a school board member?
If elected, I plan to contribute as a board member to the overall team effort in promoting good stewardship. Making the most of resources to maintain a solid student body and to keep the most qualified staff in the most critical teaching positions. We need to celebrate and honor our teachers who invest oftentimes more than anyone knows to the success to every student in our care. My goal as board member is to effectively maintain the success of our school system. The main objective of any school board should be to act as a team when making decisions in developing a sound vision that moves the school system forward. Student academic success has to be a priority, preparing our students to further their education at the university level and ultimately a productive citizen in society is the most important aspect of our system. All decisions made should have this main focus in mind. I believe our success as a school system requires a commitment from everyone involved in our community. When we come together with one vision, success is certain. My commitment to the success of the Norton city school system has been very personal to me. I am the father of two graduates of John I. Burton and soon to be three. My children have gotten a quality education, along with valuable character development being involved in athletics within the system.