Rainy weather postponed Wise County’s annual Great American Cleanup, and several communities have since announced new dates for the annual event.
The city of Norton was the only locality to hold its event as scheduled, according to City Manager Fred Ramey.
Greg Cross, Wise County litter prevention and recycling coordinator, said Monday that all towns canceled their Saturday events. Appalachia and Pound have since set this Saturday, May 2, as a rain date for the cleanup. St. Paul will hold its cleanup on Saturday, May 9. Cross said rain dates have yet to be announced for Wise, Big Stone Gap, and Coeburn. Rescheduled cleanups will run from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Also, Keep Wise County Beautiful is planning a second paper shredding event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, May 21, in the Norton Magic Mart parking lot. Cross said last Friday’s event was such a success that the paper shredding truck was full in less than two hours. Several people were turned away. Cross said this high demand led to a second event being scheduled.
Questions about new Great American Cleanup dates should be directed to the following town representatives:
• Appalachia: Gary Dean, 276/565-2537. Meeting location: Skate park.
• Big Stone Gap: Tammy Grimes, 276/523-0115, ext. 7. Bullitt Park.
• Coeburn: Danny Jordan, 276/395-6819. Amphitheater.
• Pound: George Dean, 276/796-5188. Town hall.
• St. Paul: Glenda Lane, 276/762-5297. Town hall.
• Wise: Laura Mullins, 276-328-6187. Big Glades Community Square.